Monday, July 2, 2012

6 Months of New York Times

 Today marks the six month anniversary of my arrival in New York City.  Before living here was a tangible possibility or even a plan to be actualized, I used to say, “I want to live in a city–a big metropolitan center.  Not forever, but a good two years at least.  Just to do it, just to live that way, just to fully experience an urban life different from anything I’ve ever really known.”

If I’m on that two-year plan of “urban life discovery,” then I’m a quarter of the way through.  To be cliche: it feels like I just got here, like I’m still “fresh off the (non-immigrant, totally white and privileged, therefore highly metaphorical and probably inappropriate) boat.” But at the same time, I’ve been here long enough to get acclimated, to forget to speak the awed  “I live here” thoughts to myself, to understand the city and my neighborhood a little bit.  A very little bit, to be sure, but still.


Plenty has happened since I’ve been here, including making a big life decision that I’m still contemplating and processing, for better or for worse.  Several friends of mine got married, and life has moved forward.

I’m still looking to BE here.  I’m still looking for a career, a foothold into professional life here, and I’ve barely begun to establish a social life....but I suppose I’ve started enough of one to have less and less time to post about my experiences and contemplations.  So for the next few days, I’m going to do a bit of a backlog for all those of you (parents, grandmother, random person who regrets clicking the facebook link) who are interested.

Onward and upward, New York.


2 comments:

  1. Leah!

    I love reading your blog...you are such a great writer. Miss you!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. To say I am a proud Dad would be an understatement. Sure I am partial to my sibling but there is no question that you have grown and experienced a lot of culture and urban living that have always scared me to death! I have been around the world and experienced many places but I always knew that I would be coming home after a week or two. Yes, you are incredible!

    ReplyDelete